How to Cook Rice in Chicken Broth?
Rice, one of the oldest cereal grains, is a staple food in many parts of the world. Rice is a good source of energy, vitamins & minerals, safe for people with food sensitivities to consume. In fact, brown rice is a known source of fibre. So there are many benefits to eating rice. Cooked rice can be a dish by itself or many ingredients can be added to it to turn it into scrumptious, exotic dishes. In India, the Biryani is considered a whole meal by itself!
Now, generally, most recipes require the rice to be boiled in water to cook it. But do you know that if you boil your rice in chicken broth, not only does it boost the flavour of the rice but makes it quite healthy to eat as well?
Here’s how you can cook (white) rice in chicken broth…
- 1 ½ cups of long grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups of chicken broth
- 1 small/medium sized onion, finely cut
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove
- A sprig of thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- Some freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Take a good-sized pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter, then sauté 1 finely chopped onion. Add in one smashed clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme to the mix.
- Then add 1 ½ cups of long-grain white rice and 2 ½ cups of chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chicken broth already contains salt, so use a lesser amount of salt than you would normally use.
- Turn the stove burner to a medium-high flame until the broth starts to bubble. Make sure you keep the lid off the pan so that you know when the broth starts to boil. Then turn the flame down to medium so that the broth bubbles gently.
- Now cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and let the rice cook for 15-17 minutes without lifting the lid off. This way the moisture is retained inside and the rice absorbs the chicken broth.
- After 15-17 minutes if there is still some broth visible, close the lid for another 2-3 minutes until all the broth is absorbed by the rice.
- The rice is ready, turn the burner off and remove the lid. Remove the smashed garlic & thyme with a fork.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice and then finally sprinkle the freshly chopped parsley.
- Your delicious, steaming rice cooked in chicken broth is ready to eat. Serve hot!
You can use a rice cooker instead of a pan to make rice in chicken broth. Put the ingredients in the rice cooker and follow the machine instructions. Kenstar rice cookers are made of high quality, durable non-stick coated honeycomb base, aluminium pot and include features such as close lid design, steamer function, cook & keep-warm function, auto cut-off and many more. Kenstar rice cookers come with a 2-year warranty on the product. Kenstar home appliances & kitchen appliances are some of the most sought-after products in India, offering international quality, innovative, technologically driven multi-category products.